Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bread Heels Rescued!


Normally bread heels end up in the trash around here.  If we are low on bread I might try to get away with spreading the peanut butter on the "yucky" side to make a sandwich for the kids... oh but soooo not worth getting caught, haha!

About 3 weeks ago, I started putting my bread heels in the freezer.  My first thought was that I would use them in meatloaf (I just rub 2 pieces together to get crumbs).  But then it all came flooding back to me... how much I love bread pudding!  I looked up this recipe online and let my bread thaw and sit out for a few hours to get even drier (being frozen helps with the dryness too). I cut it up into cubes and followed the rest of the recipe.  DELICIOUS!  No more heels going to waste AND a yummy dessert to show for it!

It's also a great recipe that uses up that manager's special milk. I made a couple minor modifications by using Agave nectar and using a tiny bit less milk.  I also increased the amount of bread by about a cup.  I'm so sorry I didn't get a picture!  I must have been too excited about my pudding that I neglected my readers... please forgive :)

One of my all time favorite desserts is at an Irish pub here in town that serves bread pudding with a little Bailey's drizzled on it.  Mmmmmmmmmmmm!  What do you like to add in or on your bread pudding?  Also, anybody have any other bread heel ideas?


No comments:

Post a Comment