Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I decided to try my hand at canning, but quickly realized I needed some supplies that I just didn't have, so that will have to wait.  For now, I had some strawberries that were about to go bad and I needed to do something that was fairly easy.  I looked up a recipe for making homemade apple pectin instead of using the packet from the store.  You do this by boiling unripe apples- peels, cores and all, straining it and then reducing that liquid down by half.  

Then I combined 4 cups pureed berries, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup agave and 2/3 cup apple pectin.   (I like mine a little more on the tart side)

Then I got my cute little jars all ready, filled them up, and put them in the freezer!  The good news is that for freezer jam, you don't need cute little jars.  You can use yogurt containers, baby food jars, etc.

It tastes delicious!  Unfortunately, my apple pectin set some, but not all the way.  I think my granny smiths were a little too ripe.  Next time I will try it with crab apples instead.  

The awesome news is that I made all 11 of my little jars for about $3.75.  That sure beats buying it at the store AND what a fun adventure! :) 

Anyone have any good freezer jam tips??

No comments:

Post a Comment