Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Ode to Manager's Special Milk


"What could you possibly do with a few gallons of milk that have a 'sell by' date of today?"

True, you may need to buy more fresh milk to get your family through a weeks worth of cereal, but you just can't beat milk for $0.50 :)  We drank what we could of this gallon.. I'm a little squeemish about things like potentially rotten milk.  Of course its not rotten, but a little too close for comfort.  

Here are some great ideas to use up that milk!  

  1. Waffles- Go HERE for the recipe I use.  I tripled the batch today (using 5 1/4 cups milk).  They'll go in the freezer and are great to thaw and toast as you want them!
  2. Tapioca Pudding- Recipe HERE
  3. Or any pudding for that matter :)  Trifle or Coconut Cream Pie are great desserts using pudding.
  4. Chicken Pot Pie.. the biscuit version. You'll use milk in both the filling and the biscuits.  I love this because I can use my chopped chicken from the freezer (post about this HERE) AND my manager's special milk... Very inexpensive dinner!  You make your pot pie filling as you normally would, put it in a greased casserole dish and spoon drop biscuit batter on the top of it.  Bake on 425 for 11 minutes or so (long enough to cook the biscuits.. your filling was already hot) and dinner is served!
What are your ideas for using up milk quickly?

3 comments:

  1. I've always been scared to do that.. I should get brave and try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milk will freeze. When it thaws it needs to be blended but it tastes the same. I usually just use it for cooking. That way you don't have to use it until you need it. It works fine.

    ReplyDelete