Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Coupon Basics, Part 3- Multiples and Stockpiling


These Coupon Basics are really geared toward the serious couponer, or someone wanting to become a serious couponer. While taking 3 or 4 different coupons to the store is good, it may not be worth your time.. unless it wets your appetite for more ;)

I mentioned needing multiples of the same coupon inserts in "Coupon Basics, Part 2"... Here's why:

When you are meal planning, always start with what you already have in your pantry. This frees up some of your grocery budget to do what is called "stockpiling". Stockpiling is when an item hits the rock bottom price and you use a coupon with it to get several of them. I'm not talking about excessive amounts of stuff here... or getting stuff you won't use before it expires. But when you have multiples of the coupon inserts, its gives you the opportunity to get several and stock your pantry. Then you won't need to buy that item before it goes on sale again, and can focus your grocery budget on other items you need for that week.

Example 1: I was able to get 9 boxes of organic cereal last week for less than $9. Add that to the cereal already in my pantry and I don't need to buy that for a while. So I can take my cereal money and apply it towards other things we need.

Example 2: A few weeks ago there was a pasta deal on a name brand. It was B1G1 @ $1.39. I had $1 off coupon, used 2 coupons (one on the "buy one" and one on the "get one free"... most stores allow this, but check before you shop) and actually got the pasta free with $0.30 overage that was applied towards my other groceries. I only had 4 coupons for that particular pasta, but that makes me set on pasta for a while.

If you don't have any coupons, just start this Sunday! Get your Sunday papers, but also start watching for blinkies that spit out coupons in the store (as a rule, I don't take more than 2), tearpads near the products, and coupon booklets they might have sitting out in the entry way to the store or sometimes in the produce or deli departments. And of course watch my blog for printables... they use ink, but are definitely worth it.

To sum it up, get your multiple coupons organized (using a method from coupon basics, part 2) and they'll be ready to use each time you need to shop. Use my blog and the blogs I direct you to to see what is on sale and which coupons you have that will get that price even lower (and many times FREE). Once you have your coupons together go shop, stockpile when you can, and have fun saving money!!

Go HERE for Coupon Basics Part 4- "Where to Find More Coupons"


No comments:

Post a Comment