Friday, June 19, 2009

$10 on 7 days worth of dinners.

Alright this is a lot of posting in one day, but here we're getting to the good stuff.  :)  We are currently in the middle of a family challenge to spend $10 on 7 dinners (good nutritious dinners!).  Sound extreme?  Well, it is, but who doesn't like a little challenge here or there.  

Here is my favorite dish that served as day 2 of our 10 day challenge.  I found it here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Enchiladas-4/Detail.aspx.  I also found an enchilada sauce recipe there, and I tried my hand at homemade corn tortillas.  The entire meal, complete with sides of sour cream, chips and salsa cost us $1!!  I will post next about how to get 5-6 meals out of a whole chicken.  (In this case, I found Tyson all natural chicken on managers special for $1.50 for each chicken... thats $0.25 a meal for really great meat!)  Sure I spent about 1.5 hours cooking that night, but I also have homemade enchilada sauce in the freezer for our next enchilada meal AND it was the first time I had made corn tortillas so things went a little slower than I had hoped (the rolling pin didn't help either haha)


Cheese happens to be on sale at several different stores right now (Harris Teeter is the latest one I have heard of).  Click here for a great printable coupon for Kraft cheese http://brands.kraftfoods.com/purekraft/naturalcheese/ Obviously with the great price on cheese, mexican was a natural choice for food this week.  When printing coupons, use your back browser to automatically print another one- usually the limit is 2. When you combine your coupon with a great sale, you can get items for free or very cheap!

1 comment:

  1. um.. i cant even im imagine spending only $1 on dinner.. even here in Colombia

    ReplyDelete