Friday, June 26, 2009

Coupon Basics, Part 2


First of all if you haven't read Coupon Basics, Part 1 start here.

Part 2 seems to be what everyone is asking for... "Where do I get the coupons and how do I organize them?!"

Here are some options for getting your coupons: (I'm still trying to figure out why it made my post so many different font sizes.. sorry)
  1. Subscribe.  We get the daily paper because my hubby loves crossword puzzles... and I grab the coupons.  Check with family members or friends who get the paper that don't use their coupons.  Also the Review Appeal that comes to many of us locally for free usually has a SmartSource insert in it.. so don't just recycle that paper without looking!
  2. Papers for $1.  One place to look is CVS- I'm not sure if they are continuing that deal into July so you might want to give them a call.  The other I have heard about, but haven't confirmed is Dollar Tree.  If you don't buy there, and don't mind paying full price, just grab 4-6 copies when you run to the grocery store.  Why so many?  That will be found in Couponing Basics, Part 3 ;)
  3. Recycle Bins.  This may not be your thing, and thats ok :)  Its perfectly legal, so no worries. (as long as you aren't climbing in)  Many times people throw whole Sunday papers in the bins so the coupons are easy to grab off the top.  Anytime I go, I like to make sure I am adding to the recycle bins too!
And now to organizing those gems!  Here are a few systems you can choose from that I have found:
  1. Date Filing.  This is the system I started with.  This is where you take the whole insert and write the date on the top, filing them away by date.  When you found a sale to match your coupon with, it is easy to go to the date and clip that coupon before shopping.  It was effective, but I never had all of my coupons with me when I needed them.  (i.e. if I ran across an unadvertised special in a store)
  2. Binder.  This is the system I currently use.  It is where you buy a large binder and baseball card holder inserts. (thanks, Ambra!)  Actually for my system I use a combination of 1 and 2.  I clip 2-3 individual inserts and put the coupons in my binder under organized tabs.  If I have several multiples of that insert, I'll file it away with the date on it like example 1. (This is just because I don't have time to clip 10 of the same inserts).  The downside to this method is that it will cost you money to buy the binder and baseball card inserts.
  3. Container/Filing.  I recently came across this method at Mommin it up.  Read up on it there- basically you are filing in envelopes and putting them in a rubbermaid to carry around.  Personally it seems a little big for my taste, but it would be very low cost to get you started!
Please feel free to ask any questions you have regarding this post in the comment section and check back to see the question answered!

Go HERE to find "Coupon Basics, Part 3- Multiples and Stockpiling"

No comments:

Post a Comment