Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Meal Planning- Part 1

In response to a comment on my menu plan for this week (Hi Amy! :)  I wanted to give you some tips that have helped me along the way.  I had been in the "same meals every week" rut and I was bored to death and so was my family.  "oh, yum, chili AGAIN" :)  

I'm no chef (my family can vouch for that), but by using these tips I have spiced things up in the kitchen a little bit.  (and I'm just talking about food here :)  I'll just put a few out there and continue the series next week!

1) Start with your pantry.  What is already in it that you can build from?  Starting with what you have this week will enable you to spend some of your grocery money towards building a stockpile of things that will get you through the coming weeks. You only want to stockpile those things when you get them at rock bottom prices- like when your sales match your coupons.  

Here's a small example of our staples: pasta, rice, refried beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, flour, cornmeal and chicken broth-  (I make my own- check it out here: http://seedtosow.blogspot.com/2009/06/6-meals-from-1-chicken.html)

2) Get a plan.  I recommend checking the deals on southernsavers.com or moneysavingmom.com before making your list.  They will show you match ups with sales and the coupons that are available so you can shop smart.  Start looking at what is on sale and menu plan from that.  

3) Put your cravings on hold.  Of course unless you are pregnant ;)  I know this doesn't sound fun or nice, but your grocery budget will thank you.  For instance, I really wanted grilled salmon this week.  I couldn't find it on sale anywhere, but I found some great organic burger on managers special and decided grilled burgers would work.  They were delicious!  I'm sure salmon will be on sale next week and will taste better when I pay less for it!  (side note: stock up on meat when you find a managers special or great sale and freeze it!)

4)  Fill in the blanks on what seems like a bland meal with some homemade bread.  This doesn't have to take you all day (I will post some great recipes I use soon).  Homemade tortillas, pizza crust, bread sticks and hamburger buns are all things you can make ahead of time and freeze.  It adds a nice touch to the meal and is a great, inexpensive filler.  Of course biscuits and cornbread are quick to make so can be made with your meal if you want.  

I made tortillas yesterday (The recipe made 24 tortillas- I left 4 out for our meal and froze the rest for future dinners).  Then I turned them upside down over an oven safe bowl, spread with butter, and baked in 400 degree oven until crispy to make these yummy bowls for our taco salad.  Sometimes its the little things that can make a big difference in your meals and homemade bread definitely tops that chart!

2 comments:

  1. That looks fabulous! I'm loving reading your blog- gleaning great insight as I go. :)
    Looking forward to the bread recipe- would you share your tortilla one as well??
    Thanks Jazz! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I definitely will! I'll make it my next post.. just have to gather those recipes... Thanks Sara!!!!!

    ReplyDelete