Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can I Really Eat Manager's Special Produce?

YES!

Manager's Special produce isn't something we would all probably naturally gravitate towards beacause if its on Manager's Special its probably nearing the end of its edibility. If you have a few good recipes, you'll never have a problem buying Manager's Special produce again!

Bananas are the best when marked down because you can easily freeze or make banana bread with them. Last time I was in Harris Teeter, I purchased a bag of 13 organic tomatoes for $1.50, mushrooms for $.50 and a bag of 12 limes for $1. The mushrooms were fine and I just ate them in a salad, some of the tomatoes were a little squishy, but most were great, and there was nothing wrong with the limes.

If you know me, you know that I am all over any excuse to eat Mexican food :) Tomatoes and limes are a great start for salsa. Play around with the measurements below to get a salsa that is yummy for you. Here's what you need:

5-6 tomatoes
juice from 1/2 a lime or to taste
salt
small handful of cilantro
about 1/4-1/3 of yellow onion
jalapeno to taste

(I like fresh jalapeno, but I always forget to buy it AND it burns my hands when I touch it... so I bought a tiny can of it with a coupon, split it into little baggies, and put it in the freezer. Then I just have to get a baggie out and toss it in the food processor. EASY!)


If you don't have a food processor, you can chop everything by hand and it ends up more like pico de gallo which is just as delicious.

Enjoy with some homemade chips from corn tortillas (you can make your own tortillas HERE) and you have a winning combo!

No comments:

Post a Comment